The Indian government is going big on digitization and that much is quite evident now. Last month, an order issued by the Ministry of Road, Transport, and Highways (MoRTH), noted that Aadhar obviates the need for producing multiple documents to prove one’s identity and its intentions of allowing Aadhaar-authentication for certain services. Prior to that, on August 5th, 2020, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology had observed that voluntary authentication of Aadhaar will promote ease of living of residents and enable better access to services. This stems from Rule 3 of Aadhaar Authentication for Good Governance (Social Welfare, Innovation, Knowledge) Rules, 2020. Now, MoRTH has allowed Aadhar based authentication for registration services.
The 2020 rules allow government organisations to carry out Aadhaar based authentication for “good governance” activities, “prevention of dissipation of social welfare benefits” and “enablement of innovation and the spread of knowledge”. The Health Ministry had earlier permitted Aadhaar authentication to create Unique Health Identifiers, under the same rules. Under the rules, any ministry, department or the state government that wants to use Aadhaar-based authentication for any of the three stated purposes can approach the central government with a proposal which will then be forwarded to the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Once the UIDAI allows it, the central government will authorize the ministry, department or the state government to notify the same.
In a recent Gazette notification issued by MoRTH on 3rd March, 2021, it has allowed Aadhar based authentication for registration services. The authentication would allow citizens to avail certain contactless services from the Ministry.
Services that can be availed via Aadhaar based authentication
- Learner’s License
- Renewal of Driving License for which test of competence to drive is not required
- Duplicate Driving License
- Change of Address in Driving License and Certificate of Registration
- Issue of International Driving Permit
- Surrender of Class of Vehicle from License
- Application for Temporary Registration of motor vehicle
- Application for Registration of motor vehicle with fully built body
- Application for issue of duplicate Certificate of Registration
- Application for Grant of NOC for Certificate of Registration
- Notice of Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
- Application for Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
- Intimation of Change of Address in Certificate of Registration
- Application for registration for driver training from Accredited Driver training centre.
- Application for registration of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
- Application for assignment of Fresh Registration Mark of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
- Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement Termination of hire-purchase agreement
Do subscribe to our Telegram channel for more resources and discussions on technology law and news. To receive weekly updates, and a massive monthly roundup, don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter.